This blog is meant to be a record of my adventures as a new home-based business owner. Starting my jewellery business was one of the most daunting things I've ever done, next to giving birth. Especially since I was (am?) pretty technically stunted. In this blog I will describe the trials, tribulations and, hopefully, eventual successes I experience while navigating the world of (really, really, really small) business. I also plan to use this blog to talk about all the aspects of jewellery design that fascinate me, keep me addicted, and cause me to spend thousands of dollars (What, honey? No, I didn't say thousands...) on gemstones, beads, findings, etc. I welcome your input, ideas, and stories of similar experiences in beading, jewellery design, or running a handcrafts business.





Saturday, December 4, 2010

Trunk Sale

Had a trunk sale at school Thursday and Friday afternoon (4:00 to 6:00--is that afternoon or evening?) I did pretty well.  I felt a little awkward about having it at my place of work, but everyone said I was being ridiculous, so I did it.  Some workplaces might not allow it, though, so if you want to do it, ask first.  Two things that really worked well were the raffle and the Treasure Box.  Everyone who bought something got a raffle ticket to win my Mauve Crackle charm bracelet. I displayed the bracelet pinned to a nice black picture frame that I lined with black crushed velvet.  It was on a black wrought iron easel-like stand.  I stuck a sign to it that said, "You could win this charm bracelet!"  People liked getting a little extra with their purchase.  I'll draw the names on Monday. 

Another thing that worked well was the Treasure Box. That's a nice black basket filled with bargoons, mostly clearance things.  If the customer bought two things, they got one free.  People bought a lot of things from the basket. 

I'm really pleased with my booth setup.  It's working well for me. It's easy to set up and take down, and it looks great.  I do need something else to hang long necklaces on, though. Some kind of tree or maybe a wire shape of a dress dummy, or something.

So the Facebook giveaway I held went nowhere.  Nobody signed up! How sad! Maybe I don't have the right kind of exposure on Facebook.  I don't understand how people are supposed to find Bead Planet on Facebook. I'm really a pretty reserved person, and I feel weird posting things about what I'm doing. I'd like to hear from anyone who's finding success advertising on Facebook.  Can you give me any hints? 

No comments:

Post a Comment