This blog is meant to be a record of my adventures as a new home-based business owner. Starting my jewellery business was one of the most daunting things I've ever done, next to giving birth. Especially since I was (am?) pretty technically stunted. In this blog I will describe the trials, tribulations and, hopefully, eventual successes I experience while navigating the world of (really, really, really small) business. I also plan to use this blog to talk about all the aspects of jewellery design that fascinate me, keep me addicted, and cause me to spend thousands of dollars (What, honey? No, I didn't say thousands...) on gemstones, beads, findings, etc. I welcome your input, ideas, and stories of similar experiences in beading, jewellery design, or running a handcrafts business.





Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Neat Things I Plan to Buy

Christmas is coming--only 40 shopping days left!  This is not the time of year to be perusing online jewellery supply stores and bead stores for new, nifty goods for me.  Nevertheless, I do it.  Recently, as I trolled the websites and my local bead store, Bead FX (see my link) I found many cool things that I plan on acquiring with all my gift certificates on Boxing Day.  I thought I'd share them with you.

What the hell is this?  It looks like a hideous camping lamp, but it's actually a Speedfire Cone System.  Huh?  It's a propane torch thing for firing Art Clay Silver, which is the next thing that I want to try.  I plan on using my Bead FX gift certificates (this isn't a subtle hint--I've already informed my family where to buy these and what amounts would be suitable) to take a class in Art Clay Silver at my fave local bead hangout.  I'll need this device, apparently, to fire my creations. 

Check out these gorgeous stones!

These are called Dragon's Blood Jasper.  Very fitting name, don't you think?  I love the contrast of these complimentary colours (I'm teaching colour theory in art this year). My favourite red is this blood red. 


These beauties are another type of jasper; it's called Apple Jasper.  I love the rusty tones.  I actually already bought these, and I'm making a necklace, combining them with copper accents.  I'll post the pic when I'm done.  I love jasper; it comes in so many different colours and patterns.

Wow! I was drawn to these purple turquoise teardrops in the store.  Purple is one of my favourite colours.  They're not cheap, though--they go for about $3.25 each at my local bead store. 
Don't you just love these Lucite leaves and flowers?  They come in tons of beautiful colours and shapes. I think I'll make some earrings out of them.  






Beautiful stuff!


No comments:

Post a Comment