This blog is meant to be a record of my adventures as a new home-based business owner. Starting my jewellery business was one of the most daunting things I've ever done, next to giving birth. Especially since I was (am?) pretty technically stunted. In this blog I will describe the trials, tribulations and, hopefully, eventual successes I experience while navigating the world of (really, really, really small) business. I also plan to use this blog to talk about all the aspects of jewellery design that fascinate me, keep me addicted, and cause me to spend thousands of dollars (What, honey? No, I didn't say thousands...) on gemstones, beads, findings, etc. I welcome your input, ideas, and stories of similar experiences in beading, jewellery design, or running a handcrafts business.





Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Preparing for My First Beading Party

Four days left until my first beading party.  In the interest of giving me a little nudge (kick) to get the word out about the party service I offer, my friend has offered to host a Girls' Night Out beading party at her house.  She's providing the place, the food, the mimosas, and invited her work friends, neighbours, and cousins. We were planning on six guests.  As of Monday, only two people had confirmed, so she suggested I invite my friends from work.  I felt really uncomfortable because I felt like I was asking for money from my friends. I felt like I was selling Amway or Tupperware.  But, my friend had gone to a lot of trouble to plan this thing, so I bit the bullet and asked.  And to my surprise, several people accepted, and even seemed to be happy to be invited.  I felt encouraged, even excited.  I guess, if I think about it, I'd be happy to be invited to a party where I'd be taught a new skill and provided with the materials and tools to make something for myself, and at the same time get to eat nibbles, drink, and socialize.  I'm looking forward to this Saturday, and I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment