This blog is meant to be a record of my adventures as a new home-based business owner. Starting my jewellery business was one of the most daunting things I've ever done, next to giving birth. Especially since I was (am?) pretty technically stunted. In this blog I will describe the trials, tribulations and, hopefully, eventual successes I experience while navigating the world of (really, really, really small) business. I also plan to use this blog to talk about all the aspects of jewellery design that fascinate me, keep me addicted, and cause me to spend thousands of dollars (What, honey? No, I didn't say thousands...) on gemstones, beads, findings, etc. I welcome your input, ideas, and stories of similar experiences in beading, jewellery design, or running a handcrafts business.





Thursday, September 16, 2010

Dealing With Rejection

I just got an email in response to an application I made to a juried craft show a couple of months ago.  Unfortunately, it was not the response I wanted.  The coordinator was nice about it--she said that there were 7 applicants for every one spot, and they had had to turn down work they didn't want to turn down.  I don't know if that's true or not, but it made me feel better, anyway.  This was the first juried show I've applied for.  On the one hand, the rejection smarts.  On the other hand, I know that for most craft shows, there are dozens of jewellery applicants for every one potter or stained glass artist who applies.  I also take comfort in the fact that even the most talented artists and writers experienced their share of rejection. I'm in good company.

No comments:

Post a Comment