This blog is meant to be a record of my adventures as a new home-based business owner. Starting my jewellery business was one of the most daunting things I've ever done, next to giving birth. Especially since I was (am?) pretty technically stunted. In this blog I will describe the trials, tribulations and, hopefully, eventual successes I experience while navigating the world of (really, really, really small) business. I also plan to use this blog to talk about all the aspects of jewellery design that fascinate me, keep me addicted, and cause me to spend thousands of dollars (What, honey? No, I didn't say thousands...) on gemstones, beads, findings, etc. I welcome your input, ideas, and stories of similar experiences in beading, jewellery design, or running a handcrafts business.





Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Back to Work

First day of school today, for the kids and for me.  I've got a nice bunch of kids this year--it should be a good year.  The disadvantage of going back to work is that I now have less time to build my business, to make jewelery, and to develop my "web presence". 

I must confess, I've never understood the appeal of social networking sites.  I can see the value for those who live far from family and friends; it's a good (and free) way to keep in touch.  I always said that if I wanted to keep in touch with people from high school, I would have kept in touch in the first place.  Also, I don't want to know what my acquaintances are doing during every waking moment.  But every handcraft guru whose books, articles or blogs I've read says that you have to build your "web presence".  So, I bit the bullet and created a Facebook Fan Page.  In order to do that, I had to create a personal profile first.  Maybe I'm just from the wrong generation, or maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I just don't see how this is going to help my business.  To add insult to injury, I'm now hopelessly addicted to Farmville..


This blog is part of my attempt to develop a "web presence".  This part is much more enjoyable.  I've always liked writing, and I figure that somebody's got to be interested in the journey.  Maybe they're going through a similar process, and they can learn from my mistakes and I can learn from theirs. 

My jewellery business is not just about my online activities, though.  I've also been delving into craft fairs and home parties.  More about that next time..

No comments:

Post a Comment